Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Grape Salad

My aunt makes this salad every year for Thanksgiving.

It's both weird and out of this world at the same time.

Thanks for introducing us, Ole Miss.  I look forward to it every year.


It's an amazing contrast of texture.  And I'm a texture person, in case you hadn't noticed.

So this salad hits all the right notes for me.



The cream cheese layer is creamy



The grapes are crunchy




The brown sugar layer is just like caramel


And the pecans (which I forgot.  Don't be like me) are crisp and their bitter flavor is a great contrast to the sweet.


You owe it to yourself to make this while grapes are plentiful and cheap.  And good.  Because this salad is the best way to eat a grape that I can imagine.

Grape Salad

3 pounds green grapes, rinsed and drained well
8 oz. cream cheese, softened to room temperature
3/4 cup sour cream
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup chopped pecans, toasted

Mix together the sour cream, cream cheese, vanilla and 1/3 cup sugar.  Beat well to get out most of the lumps.

Layer half the grapes in a serving bowl.  Spread half of the cream cheese mixture on top.  Top with 1/4 cup of brown sugar.  Layer the rest of the grapes on top.  Spread the rest of the cream cheese mixture on top and then top with the rest of the brown sugar and all of the pecans.  Refrigerate for at least an hour so the brown sugar will melt like caramel.  This stays good for several days in the refrigerator.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love grape salad. I first had it at a preschool teacher meeting back when I taught preschool. The lady who brought it gave me the recipe and it had melted marshmallows in it. IT was yummy and we requested her to bring it to every gathering from then on... YUMMO!

Elizabeth said...

It's awesome! Good enough to be dessert!